Friday, March 3, 2017

The Wonders of Aging

I know, I know. Everyone tells you how awful it is to get old, but I must say, I am finding this stage of life to be rather amazing. In fact, I think it is the best stage yet! Maybe it's because you realize you are possibly in the final chapter of your life, or maybe it's just because you are now smart enough to realize how wondrous everything really is.  I mean, when I look up at the stars, I am more in awe now, than I ever was in my youth. When I see the new spring flowers coming up I think, WOW! I'm so glad I didn't miss seeing these flowers come up. Or when I go out to dinner, I can't help but be amazed how good the food is and how I loved not having to cook it!

I am also getting a kick out of being a grandma and seeing new little human beings emerging into their own personalities. My little grandson, who is 3 1/2, has already discovered Gramz has different rules than his parents, and he knows how to get away with things that I didn't learn until I was 21.

Yes, there are a few aches and pains in this old body with its droopy boobs, extra padding, and hair stubbles growing in places I didn't know were even possible, BUT the other stuff - like the ability to recognize the wonder of just being alive and being in total awe of the whole cycle of life - is really worth all the little discomforts from an aging body. It is as if ones senses have been kicked into overdrive. I had no idea life in this era would be like living and breathing in continual radiant wonder. But it is. And it is absolutely amazing.

No comments: