Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Confirmation

HBO has a new movie out about the confirmation of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court. I was one of those who was glued to the radio in 1991 to listen to the hearings and now with this new movie, I became re-engaged and once again, re-enraged.

But what I liked the most, was how the movie showed the positive outcomes of this tragedy. This hearing sparked a dialog about sexual harassment and initiated placing new boundaries of protection around those who are harassed. It also spurred more women to run for elected office.

How did Clarence Thomas fare after this public "high tech lynching by uppity blacks" (as he called it). Well, he was confirmed to the Supreme Court where he can not be fired. He also never speaks during the presentations to the Supreme Court, and for me, he seems to be saying he doesn't have to participate if he doesn't want to, and so doesn't. It is like he is a little kid refusing to talk because he believes he is punishing us. He isn't. He is showing us who he really us - still bitter.

And how has Anita Thomas done after this? She continued to teach, wrote some books; in other words, she survived.

So, Ms Hill, I thank you for your courage of speaking up. I am one who believed you back then, and I still do. Your voice made a difference to me.

No comments: