Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Astronaut of a Kombucha Kitchen

I'm reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir, and one thing I've taken away from this book is that problem solving and survival often means you compensate with what you have. These same principles can transfer to any situation. Even the kitchen.

I mean, how many times have you heard a cook say they swapped ingredients or portions in a recipe because it was not available? A LOT! So that prompted me to use these same astronaut-like principles in my own domain.

I began with wanting needing to make kombucha. As you may know, kombucha is one of those healthy fermented beverages filled with probiotics. It takes about 10-14 days to ferment and it begins with a scoby, which is a fermented blob. This is what a scopy looks like (based on my internet search).


But since I didn't have a scoby, I improvised - just like an ASTRONAUT! After all, I was stranded in the kitchen with nothing but water to drink. I realized I had some kefir grains (tiny fermented crystals from milk) so I used them to start making my kombucha.


But after several days of those krystals swimming in sweet tea, this is what my kefir crystals produced - a weird looking scoby:


Yes, I know. It totally looks like shit!  
I filtered out all the kefir crystallized scoby and it now looked a bit more normal for kombucha.


Naturally, the next step would be to drink this concoction. But just like a good astronaut, I first needed to record the event in my log (aka blog) just in case I DIE from this fermented drink.

I mean, I'm just doing the same thing a Martian astronaut would do, but in the kitchen. With an apron rather than a space suit.  And a tiara rather than a helmut.