Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

Imperfect BirdsImperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The characters really were very imperfect birds - it was hard not to just reach in the book and shake them, especially the mother. She was so pathetic with no strength of character. I've never known anyone so vanilla, so needy, so unable to follow through, and with no stamina. It made me see, and also appreciate, how for some people, a crisis is required in order for them to make a decision and take action.

I really enjoyed Anne Lamott's writing style. I loved her descriptions and how the words just flowed, almost like music, and her descriptions were like poetry. She is an excellent writer. I just didn't like the characters in the story, which is why I can't give it 4 or 5 stars.

However, I did enjoy that the story was mainly in the Bay Area (my current home) and in Marin County, which is probably one of the most liberal and accepting places in the entire country. But then near the end of the book, after the crisis, the story branches out to Davis County, Utah (my former home) which is probably one of the most conservative areas in the country. What a contrast. The accepting place (Marin County) seemed to not have the needed structure these imperfect birds needed- it allowed them to just melt into what seemed like nothingness with not enough rules. Then towards the end, to send the drug addicted daughter to Davis County, a place with there is total structure and lots of rules, it allowed the daughter to put order into her empty life.

Because I grew up and lived most of my life in Davis County and then came to California, this book, "Imperfect Birds" reminded me that some people are going to need rules and structure to help them maneuver in their life. They NEED a Davis County-like environment or they can become just puddles of existence. But there are others who will need a Marin County-like environment so they can expand beyond the box they came packaged in, and fly.



View all my reviews