Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Don't get caught doing this in Oregon

Oregon has a state law that requires gas be pumped by a qualified gas attendant. They were the first state to mandate a trained station worker was the only one who could put "Class 1 flammable liquids" into cars. The state didn't want people accidentally blowing things up. That was back in 1951.

Soon, MANY other states followed this precedent.  Nah, not really; only New Jersey. Yep, it's only New Jersey and Oregon with this law on their books.

But what I didn't know was that you could be fined $500 buckeroos for pumping your own gas!


So while in Oregon, I have to remind myself to sit back and wait, and then wait some more, for some guy (who looks like he just got out of prison) to slink over to my car while I nervously roll down my window and hand him my credit card.