Thursday, July 11, 2013

Eye of Newt

Most of us have heard of the "eye of a newt" from the incantation in Shakespeare's Macbeth:

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
Lizard’s leg, and howlet’s wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

So what is a newt?

A newt is a type of salamander with the extraordinary ability to regrow its body parts.  So if you take out the eye of a newt, it will regenerate and regrow.  

Which leads me to believe this is why Newt Gingrich keeps on reappearing over and over in the political world; he came to believe, and then act on the ability to regenerate.

Which also leads me to the discussion on the importance of a name. For example, my name is "Beth" which sounds kind of like the word "Best," but with a lisp. I believe my name encouraged me to recognize I was "THE best" at everything I did, and if you throw in the fact fireworks are used for each and every birthday I have had throughout my life, it is no wonder I turned out the way I did. 

But I digress. Being the best may have included most things, BUT not singing; after all, there is that lousy lisp, ya know. 

So I wonder how I would have turned out if I had been named Newt?  It does make ya wonder.