Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pretty in Pink

I was shocked that after focusing on eating healthy for a day that my urine turned PINK!  Yes, PINK!

I discovered this can happen after you eat a bunch of beets.

It was almost as if my body was surprised to learn a vegetable had invaded my body and now didn't know what to do with it.  All it knew was to flag me down with the only internal stop sign available...red (or pink) colored urine.   It was as if my body was saying “HEY YOU, STOP THIS!!”

I later learned that beets can sometimes do this to a person, especially if they have a gene that doesn’t allow them to breakdown and absorb one of beets natural ingredients (the part that gives beets that pretty color).  

The other time this happens is if a person is low in iron.

I now am wondering which kind of person I am….genetically modified OR low in iron.

So I’m going to beef up my iron (aka eat more red meat) and then down the road try another day of eating healthy (aka eating lots of beets).  I will get to the bottom of this mystery and find out which type of person I really am; genetically modified or someone requiring a life of steak and lobster.  

4 comments:

Dan said...

Scary stuff. Thank you for the warning. In the spirit of a healthy diet, I will interpret your experience as a reason to avoid vegetables altogether ... except for pop corn, of course.

Kathy G said...

I knew too many carrots could make your urine orange, but it sounds like if you tried hard enough, you could have a whole rainbow of colors!

AnotherQ said...

Dan,
yes, this healthy diet stuff is pretty scary and the rebellion my body is making is almost unbelievable. But I think popcorn is one staple that won't let us down.

Kathy G,
It is rather amazing what the body will do when it wants to paint a picture with natural "water" colors. :-)

Amander said...

Mmmm...I love beets. I roast them and put balsamic vinegar on them. But they don't turn my urine pink - so I guess I'm not either one of those people!