Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Get Over It!

"My mother (taught) me a very fundamental lesson of humor, which is that if you slip on a banana peel, people laugh at you. BUT, if you tell people you slipped on a banana peel, it's your joke," explains Nora Ephron in her new book, “I Remember Nothing”. "And when you tell the story, you can then become the hero of the joke."

She also goes on to say, "My religion is 'Get over it!". My mother would say, Everything is copy; everything is material; work through it, get to the other side, turn it into something worthwhile”.

This philosophy worked for Nora Ephron, a journalist who later became the author of some movie favorites, including Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail and was also an accomplished Director, directing Sleepless in Seattle and Julie & Julia.

I like her philosophical munchies;
  • Get over it!
  • Turn it into something worthwhile.
  • And then tell the story in your own way.
I like how she has embraced and lived the philosophy her mother taught her.

For example, Ephron was married to the journalist Carl Bernstein of Watergate fame. Ephron had an infant son, Jacob, and while she was pregnant with her second son, she found out Bernstein was having an affair with their mutual friend, Margaret Jay, a British politician, who was also married at the time. Ephron took the emotional turmoil of those events and wrote the novel Heartburn, which was later made into a film starring Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep.

She demonstrated "Getting over it!" "Turn it into something worthwhile!" and "Tell the story in your own way".

I would say this is pretty good advice.

5 comments:

Kathy G said...

The preschool classroom I work in has a set of adorable curly-haired twin toddlers. One the first day they came, their mom said that when they get a minor boo-boo, she tells them to "get over it". Wonder if either one of them will grow up to be a writer?

Amander said...

I really like "Turn it into something worthwhile" - such great advice for any situation!

AnotherQ said...

Kathy G,
Maybe so. Or maybe they will just learn to move on and not dwell on stuff they can't change. :-)

Amander
I like that, too. I often think there is a point in any recovery you have the opportunity to let it go, and then to move to the next step, which is to turn it into something worthwhile.

Dan said...

This is excellent advice. I love it ... but I understand that it may not be well received in all circles. Prior to going to medical school my brother wanted to become a Psychologist. As part of the curriculum he was assigned patient interviews. When I asked him how the interviews were going he replied "All they want to do is complain about stuff." "What advice did you give them?" I asked. Well, his career as a Clinical Psychologist was cut short when his repeated advice to every patient was simply ... Get Over It! Apparently my brother and Nora are soul mates.

AnotherQ said...

Dan,
I love your brother. He is soooo very wise! :-)