Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chinese Treatment for the Common Cold

In Chinese Medicine class I learned that bananas and oranges produce phlegm so you don't want to consume those foods if you have a head cold.

I don't know how many years I have heard that if you have a cold you should drink lots of orange juice, but according to Chinese Medicine, that is one of the worst things you can do. No orange juice when you have a head cold! And no bananas!

Instead you should consume hot soups and teas. Ginger, mint, and chrysanthemum teas are some of the recommended herbal teas to help a head cold. These beverages can assist in clearing phlegm and mucus to help you breathe easier.

Another ingredient to have on hand is Po Sum On massage oil. This is a very fragrant aromatic oil and reminded me of the smell of Vicks Vapor rub and Tiger Balm. This oil is used in "cupping" and "scraping" treatments in Chinese medicine, but it also can be used to help congestion. If you don't have a fever with your cold, you can take a couple of drops of the Po Sum On oil and rub it on your chest. This may help open up your airway passages and increase circulation to that area of your body.

4 comments:

Amander said...

Too bad I don't like ginger, mint, or chrysanthemum teas! In fact, the only tea I like is licorice spice. But that also seems to help if I am feeling congested :)

Interesting about the oranges.

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the information. I think I'm getting a cold RIGHT NOW. No more bananas for me for a few days :-)

AnotherQ said...

This information about colds came in the nick of time for me. I've been coughing up a lung but now I am going to try sipping some of those herbal teas and rubbing some of that smelly oil on my chest.

I must say, lounging on the couch with a pile of used tissues and a rather pungent odor is not my image of being a modern Cleopatra, but I'm hoping this will be one of the quickest recoveries from the common cold I have EVER had! :-)

Kasey said...

Hope you feel better soon!