Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I’m Baaaaack!

I’m baaaack.....to school, that is!

Yes, I have decided it is time to learn something new in my life so I will be going back to school (nights & weekends) to learn acupuncture.

Here are some reasons why:

Well, acupuncture appears to be mixing a couple of things together that I love. With my background in Nursing, I know I really enjoy sticking it to patients. You know, there is something about pulling out a sharp instrument and having someone hold their breath, look away, and ALLOW you to poke them.

Also, in my research about Acupuncture, I learned there are only a handful of schools in the USA…around six. TWO of them are located right here where I live; OAKLAND and BERKELEY! Who knew?! To me that could only mean it was meant to be. It says "we want you....COME ON OVER!"

Another factor is recognizing the need to practice new skills on some sucker as you fine tune your craft. The best suckers are usually family members ‘cause you can guilt them into being a reluctant volunteer. The thought of getting out a box of needles and poking my kids, well, I don’t know how to tell you how much pleasure this gives me. It just makes me grin visualizing this possibility. You see, ever since I was banned from writing about my children in my blog, I have had so little methods of bugging them. (If you are a mom, you know how we NEED to bug are kids. It is part of what gives a mother purpose to living through this stage of life.)

Sooooo
My new adventure will be sticking it to people. Day and night.

5 comments:

Kathy G said...

So if your kids let you practice on them, will you give them free treatments when you're all trained? I'm thinking that will make up for all the pain and suffering :-)

AnotherQ said...

That is a great idea! :-)

Kasey said...

That is so great, keep us posted on how you like it. I looked into doing acupuncture too, until I found out how many years of school it would take to get licensed. On the plus side, it makes me trust acupuncturists more now that I know they've spent as much time in school as MDs.

Amander said...

Very cool!
Too bad I don't live near you - I'd be your little pin cushion.

Can't wait to hear more about this adventure!

AnotherQ said...

Kasey,
There are various programs available, it seems. One is a masters program; perhaps that is the one you checked out or perhaps there is another level after the masters program.

Amander,
Thank you for being one of my first volunteers. I love how SOME family can be sooooo trusting (at first, anyway!) :-)