Sunday, June 6, 2010

We're Burnin' Daylight

My dad would say "We're burn'n daylight" as his way of saying "Come on! Get a move on!"

He wasn't one to waste time, especially when the sun was up. He expected every moment to be spent doing something productive. He had a full time job, a farm, and his widowed mother also had a farm he needed to maintain. He was pretty busy.

He is no longer here and so now when I hear the phrase "we're burn'n daylight!", I smile and think of dad. He had a charm about putting his point across with a little gleem in his eye. We all got the subtle message there were no slackers under his roof and we were all expected to be busy and productive all the time.

We now have these long summer days giving us more sunlight to get things done. But these days I'm finding there are times when I want to sit outside and just "be."

On the outside, the sun is shining, and here I am sitting on the patio just being a slug and slacker. But inside, it feels like I'm productive. I'm noticing all the life going on around me. There are birds, bugs, noises I never would have notices. I think it is a nice trade off to spend some time noticing life happen from a totally different perspective.

I believe now days my dad would probably agree it is OK to have these moments of nothingness. In it's own way, it is a different kind of productivity.

Feel free to come on by and sit with me on the patio. We'll just sit in the quiet and enjoy the daylight burn.

7 comments:

The Crater Lake Hermit said...

It's a favorite saying of mine too. The term must have been known back in the days of Shakespeare. He used it twice. Once in The Merry Wives of Winsor and again in Romeo & Juliet. Then again we hear it in The Cowboys when John Wayne says "Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go. We're burning daylight!"

AnotherQ said...

I had no idea the saying originally came from Shakespeare. I could see John Wayne saying that, however. I like the phrase, too...very endearing. It says something about the person, don't you think? :-)

Dan said...

Your patio is beautiful. It is the perfect place to burn daylight. Besides, those moments of contemplative nothingness are productive ... they restore the soul.

AnotherQ said...

I think those quiet moments restore the soul, too.

Kasey said...

Lovely post! I can imagine grandpa saying something like that. I remember anytime we'd go somewhere in the car with him, he'd say, "We're off like a dirty shirt."

Sam said...

Such flowers! Sooo beatuiful, Beth! :)

AnotherQ said...

It has turned into another lovely spring in beautiful CA! So now I'm off, like a dirty shirt.... :-)