Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jumping Through a New Hoop; Breakfast!

For you dog owners, you know how hard it is to teach an old dog new tricks. You say something like "Go fetch!" as you throw a stick in the air and the old pooch looks up at you with a look that says "F.O!" while they sit there as if they are master of the world.

Well, people are sometimes that way, too.

I'm seeing an acupuncturist. She is trying to teach this old dog, aka moi, some new tricks. For example, she is having me eat breakfast each morning, and it isn't just ANY breakfast, it is a bowl of hot steel cut oatmeal and an egg. Not instant oatmeal. Not rolled oats. Steel cut oatmeal.

"F.O" was the first thing that popped into my mind when she gave me my new instructions. Then I thought "I can do this! I can train myself to like that slop".

I have been trying to incorporate this new food into my morning regime. I first tried the breakfast steel cut oatmeal plain. Then I added fruit. Then I added nuts and sugar. Then chocolate. Some eggs, spices, butter, and flour. I baked it so it looked and tasted like a cookie. I was proud of my creativity.

My acupuncturist said I was BENDING the rules. So now I'm back to the slop.

Each weekend I cook a huge vat of the stuff and put it in the fridge so I can take out some each morning and zap it in the microwave. I tell myself how this is making my body feel fab.

And ya know what? I think it is working.

This old dog has learned to jump through one hoop. I know it is just one, but that is a start! And at my age, it is pretty remarkable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have tried to make friends with oatmeal every morning and have failed to make friends with 'that slop'. Finally discovered that uncooked oats with some milk and whatever were not only edible but actually appealing. This is called muesili according to online recipes. And it can be made 'fresh' every morning. How can you stomach that reheated stuff on Friday morning?

Kathy G said...

I eat a fair amount of oatmeal, but it's usually added to muffins that I bake (along with whole wheat flour). Sometimes I add rolled oats to flavored yougurt. I'd love to eat steel cut oats on a more regular basis, but never have the time to cook them...even on a weekend morning. I get too hungry to wait that long!

However, when I do cook them, they're so much better than the quick-cooking ones.

Kasey said...

I've been meaning to try this too, but can't get past the "slop" texture. Someone told me that if you reduce the liquid way down and overcook it, you can make it crunchy like granola. Have you tried that?

LazyBuddhist said...

What I'm curious about what is so damn magical about oats being cut with steel? Are they less nutritious if cut with aluminum? Or plastic? Or does "cut with" mean that it has bits of steel in it?

I dunno. I eat my instant oats in the morning and I feel pretty damn good about myself. If I can't stick my breakfast in the toaster or reconstitute it with boiling water, count me out.

AnotherQ said...

Anonymous...
I may have to try your fancy Museli. I will probably have to have some kind of chaser to help get it down my delicate throat...ya know, like a bloody mary. :-)

Kathy G...
Yogurt with oatmeal?? That sounds like it may be a combination I could stomach!

Kasey...
I think I will try over cooking it next time and see if the hockey puck it turns into will make it more palatable. :-)

LazyBuddhist...
Apparantly steel cut keeps more of the nutrition. And it is much prettier to look at. lol

九份 said...

看到你的好文章真是開心 加油囉.......................................

AnotherQ said...

Thank you for your message in Chinese.

According to Google Translate you said:, "The article is really good to see you happy refueling La"

Yep...that is what oatmeal is does; it refuels.