Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Paintings

I visited the Sistine Chapel while I was in Rome. I went during the evening hours and rushed through the museum to just get to the chapel. When I walked into the door and then sat along one of the edges of this quiet room, I noticed there were only about 30 other people present in the chapel. This was a very rare moment, from what I understand, as it is usually standing room only.

While I sat, I could feel Michelangelo’s presence. I felt like I was alone with him and shared the feelings while he painted within this room. I felt his turmoil, his passion, his angst, his joy. I felt his personality and presence as if he was sitting with me. I was glad to have this opportunity as if I had momentarily gone back in time to share a moment with who seemed like an old friend.

Photos were not allowed, so I got these photos of the chapel from public sites:

6 comments:

Amander said...

I bet it was amazing. And how lucky you are to have had some "personal" time in there. I can't wait to see it one day!

AnotherQ said...

I think this will be one of those moments that will be with me for a long time.
It will be fun to get your impressions after you visit.

Dan said...

Wow. Great story. Thanks.
Unlike you, I remember this room on a much more shallow level. Fantastic architecture, unbelievable art and lots of good looking women on the tour. Sorry.

AnotherQ said...

Really? There were women? I didn't catch that part of the tour... :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember now: that's who you remind me of!

AnotherQ said...

I remind you of Michelangelo? I guess you have not seen my artwork :-)
but thank you very much! That made me smile.